- 20% of all transgender people have been refused medical care
- 29% of transgender people report educating their doctor about transgender health issues
- 75% of incarcerated transgender people have been refused medical treatment
MEDICAL NECESSITIES for some lgbtq+ people
- Treatment for HIV/AIDS
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Transitional Devices (Binders, Packers, STPs, etc.)
- Mental Healthcare
- Insurance Coverage for Surgical/Hormonal Procedures
Poverty and economic disenfranchisement highly targets racial, gender, and sexual minorities.
Individuals suffering from poverty, economic inequality, and homelessness are more likely to attribute symptoms of mental illness to social disenfranchisement, resulting in mental health disorders being undiagnosed and untreated within poorer communities. Because LGBTQ+ individuals are at greater risk for poverty, economic inequality, and homelessness- it is likely that many LGBTQ+ individuals suffer from undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues.
New York City Jail Mental Health Services; Dr. Andrew Solomon 2001